Why a Net Zero Building?
This Net Zero building is a testament to the Park District’s commitment to sustainability. This building will allow us to:
- Make the most of our natural resources
- Minimize our carbon footprint
- Reduce our reliance on fossil fuels
- Create a model to inspire others
Park District of Oak Park received a grant of $1.8 million from the Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation to help make this a Net Zero facility.
Outdoor Green Features
- Permeable pavers that prevent water accumulation by catching precipitation and surface runoff allowing it to infiltrate the soil below
- Bioswale landscape element that prevents the flow of pollutants into freshwater ecosystems by collecting rainwater and surface runoff water allowing it to feed the deep-rooted plants
- Benches inside the building built using reclaimed wood from trees in our parks