Youth Travel Hockey
At a Glance
Ice Bears Youth Travel Hockey League
The Ice Bears travel hockey program is designed for players with experience in the sport and who are ready to take their game to the next level. The Ice Bears League play takes place in the Fall/Winter. There is also a reduced Spring season which is a great starting point for new players.
- The co-ed Ice Bears teams compete against other organizations as part of the Northwest Hockey League (NWH)
- All-Girls Ice Bears team competes in the Northern Illinois Hockey League (NIHL)
Any player who has NEVER played a Fall or Spring Ice Bears season before, will be required to attend a Pre-Evaluation Skate, please contact Dan Seltzer at Hockey@pdop.org to set up your players’ evaluation. In the interest of setting players up for success, the coaching staff will be putting players through drills to assess if they are ready for travel-level play. If a new player does not attend a pre-evaluation and registers without pre-approval, they will forfeit their spot on the team and it will be given to the first waitlisted player.
Registration Timeline for Fall 2023-2024 Season
- RETURNING RESIDENT ICE BEARS (Fall 2022-2023 and/or Spring 2023 seasons) Friday, May 19th, 8:30am
- OAK PARK RESIDENTS Saturday, May 20th, 8:30am
- RETURNING NON-RESIDENT ICE BEARS (Fall 2022-2023 and/or Spring 2023 seasons) Friday, May 26th, 8:30am
- OPEN REGISTRATION Saturday, May 27th, 8:30am
- PRELIMINARY REGISTRATION CLOSES Sunday, June 30th, 11:59pm
- ALL REGISTRATION CLOSES Saturday, August 19th, 11:59pm”
Want to join the Ice Bears or you are already an Ice Bear eager to come back for the new season…?
- Fall 2022 & Spring 2023 Ice Bears
- June 2
- Fall Ice Bears Registration Begins
- June 3, 8:30A
Ice Bears train with Goodman Elite to add strength, conditioning, and power skating to their practice schedule which is a unique opportunity. Reach more about our partnership below.
Oak Park Ice Bears and Goodman Elite Training are pleased to announce their training partnership! Goodman Elite Training is directed by Paul Goodman, Chicago Blackhawks Head Strength & Conditioning Coach and 3 X Stanley Cup Winner. Goodman Elite full-time coaching staff are highly educated, NSCA certified strength and conditioning coaches, maintaining the highest level of coaching standards in the industry.
Practicing his success at the NHL level and D1 Hockey strength & conditioning, Paul Goodman will bring his scientific approach and proven holistic training program directly to Ridgeland Common Recreation Complex to work with our Ice Bears on-site. Each training session will mirror the Goodman philosophy, containing elements of speed, balance, power, agility, mobility, total body and core strength.
Our athletes will receive a world class strength & conditioning program during the 2022/23 hockey season.
Goodman Elite will be taking over the Ice Bears Power skate classes to run on-ice strength and conditioning workouts.
Skills Progression Track
Pre-Requisites – Mite
Pre-Requisites – Squirt
Squirt (10U): Birth Years 2013-2014
Bantam (14U): Birth Years 2009-2010
Peewee and Up
All Girls Peewee: Ages TBA by February 2nd
Peewee (12U): Birth Years 2011-2012
▪ The Ice Bears compete in the Northwest Hockey League. The NWHL and the Ice Bears focus on balanced playing time for everyone, with an emphasis on skill development, sportsmanship, and developing a love for the game of hockey.
▪ The Ice Bears is a no-cut program with teams divided based on evaluations of player skill and balancing teams. Players new to the Ice Bears are evaluated before the season begins to ensure they possess the skills needed to safely participate.
▪ The Ice Bears is currently home to an All-Girls team of players ages 7-10.
The Park District is partnering with Paul Goodman, 3-time Stanley Cup champion and NHL head Strength and Conditioning Coach; bringing proven scientific-based off-ice training to local hockey players!
“Fostering balanced competition and fair play in hockey throughout Chicagoland.”
The Northwest Hockey League was formed to provide safe recreationally competitive youth hockey at all age levels. The league focuses on sportsmanship, fair play, and player development.