Stevenson Park is home to a wide range of recreation opportunities for people of all ages. Recent park improvements, completed in spring 2020, include a new, accessible entryway which connects to a looped walking path and a new playground with an accessible surface. Adjacent to the playground is a game table area featuring chess and table tennis, the first table tennis in the parks system. The District also installed a hit/kick wall for lacrosse and soccer practice, a bioswale in the parkway along Lake Street and bike racks, benches and landscaping including native and ornamental trees and shrubs. The park has three outdoor half-court basketball courts, a 12,000 sq ft skate park which are ADA/wheelchair-accessible (helmets required), and also a community center. See park map
Stevenson Park was acquired by the Village of Oak Park in 1916 and named after author Robert Louis Stevenson. The Park District entered into a 99-year lease agreement with the Village in 2006, rather than purchasing the property outright, because the park contains two underground water reservoirs managed by the Village. The current Stevenson Center was built in 1965.