Barrie Park features a designed sled hill, a ball field and soccer field, a creative play area, ornamental and shade trees, and a walking path that encircles the park. It is located directly east of Barrie Center, a facility featuring a field house, indoor playground, tot lot, basketball, and pickleball courts.
Request a facility tour.
The 0.9 acre site at the southwest corner of Lombard and Garfield was acquired in 1932, and named for the children’s author James Barrie. It includes a center originally designed by Arthur B. Maiworm. The adjacent 3.3 acre park was acquired in 1965, and had been the site of a manufactured gas plant from 1893-1931. Soil contamination was discovered in 1999, and remediation was undertaken through a coordinated effort by the Park District, Village of Oak Park, ComEd, and NiCor. Cleanup and restoration took place from 2001-2005. Barrie Center is located on top of a Village underground potable water tank. A master plan was created for Barrie Park in 2015, which includes future upgrades to the playground, sled hill, and the addition of a natural play area.