I am writing to share with you the timeline and details of the Barrie Park renovation project. This exciting renovation will commence May 30 and is scheduled to be completed by December 1, 2023. The work included in this project is the direct result of resident input from the 2015 Barrie Park Site plan community meetings and includes repair of the north side retaining wall, sled hill improvements, a new playground and tot lot, and the addition of a natural play area and rain garden.
Here are some specific details to help you navigate the park during renovation:
- Fencing will surround the closed areas of the park.
- The sports fields, including baseball and soccer fields, will remain open throughout the project.
- The tot lot will remain open until approximately August 1, when new equipment is scheduled to arrive. A fence around the tot lot will indicate that work is ready to commence.
- The perimeter sidewalk will remain open; temporary orange fencing will indicate requisite sidewalk work is taking place.
- The sled hill will be closed for the entirety of the project.
Our playground equipment will be donated to Kids Around the World, a non-profit that refurbishes used playground equipment and installs it in countries experiencing violence, war, or deep poverty.
We are thrilled to bring these new amenities to the community and thank you for your patience during this work. If you would like to see the specific plan details, please visit pdop.org/park-planning-projects.
Please feel free to reach out to Chris Lindgren, Superintendent of Parks & Planning, at email@example.com with specific questions about the project.
Ann Marie Buczek
Communication & Community Engagement Manager
Park District of Oak Park
218 Madison Street
Oak Park, IL 60302