Barrie Park Renovations
In 2015, we hosted a series of community meetings to review concepts regarding the current and future use of Barrie Park. I’m writing to you, as a community member who provided feedback to the proposed concepts, with an update on our progress toward the Barrie Park Site Plan. As a reminder, the Park District of Oak Park develops and publishes site plans for each of our 18 parks every 10 years, with periodic reviews in between, to identify park amenities desired by our residents, to budget strategically for these improvements, and to be prepared for grant opportunities.
Based upon your input from the 2015 Barrie Park Site plan community meetings, we are thrilled to share with you the final renovation plan. Attached, please find a presentation that provides an aerial view of the park, highlighting all of the new elements to be added; it also includes dedicated renderings of the playground, sport fitness area, and tot lot. We are excited about the new features and amenities that were a direct result of your input.
This exciting renovation began May 30 and is scheduled to be completed by December 1, 2023. The work included in this project is the direct result of resident input from the 2015 Barrie Park Site plan community meetings and includes repair of the north side retaining wall, sled hill improvements, a new playground and tot lot, and the addition of a natural play area and rain garden.
Here are some specific details to help you navigate the park during renovation:
- Fencing will surround the closed areas of the park.
- The sports fields, including baseball and soccer fields, will remain open throughout the project.
- The tot lot will remain open until approximately August 1, when new equipment is scheduled to arrive. A fence around the tot lot will indicate that work is ready to commence.
- The perimeter sidewalk will remain open; temporary orange fencing will indicate requisite sidewalk work is taking place.
- The sled hill will be closed for the entirety of the project.